Oh, man! I’ll never get any work done today. Reflections is the Steve Lacy source in my jazz collection. It blows me away to think I was 3 years old when it was recorded in 1958. It was the first album of Thelonious Monk tunes recorded by someone other than Monk. Lacy, not Sidney Bechet, inspired John Coltrane’s experiments with soprano sax. The Monk connection points to that genealogy of influence, plus the connections of sidemen heard with both Lacy Sand Trane, pianist Mal Waldron and drummer Elvin Jones. Lacy discography
Saturday, March 3, 2007
Another Steve Lacy Encore
Oh, man! I’ll never get any work done today. Reflections is the Steve Lacy source in my jazz collection. It blows me away to think I was 3 years old when it was recorded in 1958. It was the first album of Thelonious Monk tunes recorded by someone other than Monk. Lacy, not Sidney Bechet, inspired John Coltrane’s experiments with soprano sax. The Monk connection points to that genealogy of influence, plus the connections of sidemen heard with both Lacy Sand Trane, pianist Mal Waldron and drummer Elvin Jones. Lacy discography
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment