Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Congratulations, Ornette!

Ornette Coleman won the Pulitzer Prize for Music yesterday for his 2006 live album, Sound Grammar. This award typically goes to a living American composer of “classical” music which few people have ever heard. Now it goes to a living legend whom few outside avante-garde jazz circles have heard or would give a chance. Remember that photo of Ornette with Jimmy Carter in 1977? I never thought he’d be invited to the White House. Hey, I never thought I’d be invited to the White House. At age 78, Ornette now is getting the national acclaim he deserves. Here’s a NYT feature story from September 2006, when Sound Grammar was released.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

Greetings from Vashon, WA! It is definitely Ornette's year - first a Grammy (are you KIDDING me?) and now a Pulitzer. Not to take a thing away from him, but there are so many other jazz musician/composers who deserve this kind of recognition. What about Miles, Mingus, Coltrane, Strayhorn, and Andrew Hill, who departed this world today? I've taken to reading the comments people leave from around the world on the Bluenote website occasionally, just to remind myself that there are others out there who share the joy that this music brings to me.

Thanks for blogging away - I still miss our daily conversations commuting back and forth to "White Straight". While this is a poor second to hearing you "live", it is far better than nothing at all.

Long Live the Cafe Mouffe!